The Main Street Ice Cream Parlor is a family owned business established in June 1990 by Bruce and Suzanne Robbins. The dream of opening an old fashioned soda fountain occurred shortly after opening up a Bed & Breakfast, “The Chester Inn.” Yet, the Robbins still felt there was something missing. They knew the town needed more fun places for the locals and tourists to enjoy. They decided to open a restaurant reminiscent of the 1940’s which Chestertown had grown so fond of for generations at Janser’s pharmacy and TJ Fish & Sons.
Bruce Jr. having recently graduated with a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management from Paul Smith’s College was eager to join his parents in the creation of the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor. Daughter Kimberly, having recently moved to the area, was also asked to be a part of the business working along side the rest of the family. After years of success Bruce and Suzanne decided to entrust the business to their son Bruce Jr. and his wife Helena. In 2005 Bruce and Helena purchased the historic Chester Town Hall.
Built in 1913, the building originally served as a high school for the Town of Chester up until 1934 when a new brick school was built just down the street. The building was then sold and rented out to a glove factory during the 1940’s. Then in the mid 1950’s it was purchased to house antiques, but was soon turned over to the county due to non-payment of taxes. The Town of Chester purchased the building turning it into a Town Hall in 1960. In 2001 the Chester Town Hall moved into the North Warren High School building, and the historic building sat vacant until 2004 when it was purchased by Bruce and Helena to be the new location of the Ice Cream Parlor.